Wednesday, June 11, 2014

1-03a: My Language Learning Stories and plans

From I was born to before I enrolled elementary school, it was my parents, friends and kindergarten's teachers that I learn from. At home I imitated my parents' conversation and learned Japanese from animations. When I was outside, I learned language from my friends and kindergarten's teacher. I remember singing, playing game, reading picture books there. For example, I played house with my friends. I could talk everyday conversation.  

Second, about 10 years ago, I was elementary school student. I studied how to write and read hiragana, katakana and kanji. I took Japanese class, we learned a lot of things. Several years from 10 years ago, I could learn English. My teacher have lived overseas for 5 years so he taught us English. We learned a lot of words from playing games. However I didn't write and listen English so I didn't know English grammar.

Next, I am major in English so I like English and I want to improve my English skills now. I must read a lot of English books and newspaper. I must listen to news in English and write in English. In addition I took TOEIC, TOEFL and IELTS. I studied hard because I'm going to study abroad, so I need to step up my English skills. I learn by English central, Japan Times, ALC’s power words and Hearing Marathon. Recently I stared to go English conversation school about once a week.  I could not get satisfactory TOEIC and TOEFL scores but I could get satisfactory results from IELTS test. Because of a lot of tests I made a detail goal, I study hard. Since I'm sure my English skills improve.
 
Finally, 10 years from now my language skills will make progress more. I think that time I will work and I'm not a child. I think I will use more difficult Japanese words. Besides I want to work a job where I can use my English skills. I take teaching profession license classes now so I need to take 650~700 score in TOEIC test.  Now my English skills isn't enough to work with English. However my goal is I can make full use of English so I won't stop studying English even if I can't work utilize English. So 10 years from now, my English skill will improve.
 
[385 words]

1 comment:

  1. Hi Misaki,

    The opening paragraph of you essay covered from when you were born through kindergarten. Do you remember any encounters with languages other than Japanese during that time?

    In the next paragraph, you switched back and forth from "I" to "We" several times, without ever spelling out who "we" meant. Unless you'd like to mention things you and other students learned from one another, you should stick to the first person singular. You also could point out what kinds of words you learned from games you played.

    Similarly, I'd like to know what you learn, or expect to learn, _from_ activities at the EnglishCentral website, with ALC's PowerWords program, or in a Hearing Marathon. As for test results, what was and was not satisfactory about yours? Please do share details of your current and future language test performance goals.

    Last, but not necessarily least, what kinds of English skills do you foresee using at work in the future? In what kinds of jobs might you need those skills? Do you see yourself developing those skills prior to getting hired, on the job, or both?

    Cheers, PB

    ReplyDelete